Wednesday, February 14, 2007
An interesting idea for an alternative party, one that has realistic goals and a novel process to allow every member to be engaged electronically. Their website is http://www.unity08.com/. Check them out, I think you will be impressed. I have included two sections of their main page for a quick look.
What is intriguing is the opportunity to participate, and everything will be done on-line so everyone goes to the convention and votes. Besides the disaffected in both parties, and we know they are legion, there is a great opportunity to pick up a portion of those who never vote, because many are internet surfers who would participate online but not physically. The college crowd will go nuts. 20M voters is not unrealistic. Depending on the platform there is an opportunity to attract a lot of independents.
Also good news is that you don't have to give up your current part membership to participate.
Any alternative to this sorry pack that is running in both parties is welome news.
We have set three specific goals, and are exploring how best to achieve them.
1. Goal One is the election of a Unity Ticket for President and Vice-President of the United States in 2008 – headed by a woman and/or man from each major party or by an independent who presents a Unity Team from both parties.
2. Goal Two is for the people themselves to pick that Unity Ticket in the first half of 2008 – via a virtual and secure online convention in which all American voters will be qualified to vote.
3. Goal Three, our minimum goal, is to effect major change and reform in the 2008 national elections by influencing the major parties to adopt the core features of our national agenda. With a group of voters who comprise at least 20% of the national electorate, we feel confident that our voters will decide the 2008 election.
Why Unity08 Will Succeed
Here are four reasons we believe the Unity08 movement will succeed:
1. The American people know that the current political system is broken and that the time is short to fix it.
2. A solidly-funded movement of up to 20,000,000 Americans can be built online in order to nominate a Unity Ticket of their choice for 2008.
3. Seeing the numbers, leaders in both parties will see that a Unity Ticket in 2008 represents the jolt the political system needs to get back on track.
4. The tens of millions of Americans who have not been voting out of cynicism toward the current system are likely to rally to new leadership with a new approach.
Liberty or Death